The Clarkston Community Trustees met March 6 to discuss the start- up of the Clarkston After-School Collaborative, the Education project selected by Clarkston residents. The Clarkston After- School Collaborative will develop activities and mobilize resources to support existing after school programs serving Clarkston youth.
The planning continues and the work begins!
One of the first steps is to hear from after-school program staff, families, and youth, as well as PTAs, teachers, and school administrators and support staff, as to how a collaborative could help their programs. We will do that by contacting individuals, groups, and programs and hosting a forum in April.
Some of the ideas proposed for the Collaborative include:
- helping programs secure nutritional snacks
- helping programs recruit volunteers and tutors
- providing information about resources and grants
- bringing professional development workshops and opportunities to Clarkston
- funding “roving teachers” such as artists, musicians, math teachers, and others who would make scheduled visits to after school programs
- funding special programs, such as summer camps and Saturday/weekend events
- linking schools with programs through on-line resources/technology
- sponsoring learning journeys to visit other after school programs
- sharing research and innovative practices about school-age care
Interested? Have ideas?